The Meteoritical Society is an international organization dedicated to the promotion of research and education in planetary science with emphasis on the studies of meteorites and other extraterrestrial materials that further our understanding of the origin of the solar system. The Society was established in 1933.
Our members, from 52 nations, span the range of planetary science. We are scientists, amateur scientists and enthusiasts.
The Meteoritical Society:
- promotes research and education.
- supports young planetary scientists.
- publishes leading journals including Meteoritics and Planetary Science.
- organizes annual meetings and workshops.
- honors outstanding scientific and service contributions.
- approves all new meteorite names and classifications and records them in the Meteoritical Bulletin.
- Upcoming Endowment Grant Deadline: 15 January 2024
- Visit the Endowment Grant page for submission details
- Award Nomination Deadlines for 2024
- 31 January, 2024 – Pellas Ryder award
- 15 February, 2024 – Leonard Medal, Barringer Award, Nier Prize, Service Award, Jessberger Award, Fellows
- Details for all awards can be found on this page.
- Slate of Nominated Officers and Councilors for 2025
- See this news story for details of those nominated to begin terms in January 2025, as well as details for any additional nominations, which must be received by 15 February, 2024.
Not a Member?
You can be. Join forces with 1000 scientists and amateur enthusiasts. Share with them in a discussion forum. Receive our peer-reviewed journal, Meteoritics and Planetary Science. Save with product discounts.